For Liz
We follow the deer
Through the skeletons of tall grasses,
Arms raised above our shoulders
To avoid the unwanted advances of their brittle fingers.
The wind restores a fleeting life
And their dry, rasping voices
Whisper to us stories of death--
Of winter's frigid grasp that came and stole
Their lives, slowly and inexorably;
Of their burial--so final beneath more snow than we've had in decades.
The wind stills, and we hear only the crunching
As we watch our carefully placed steps
Destroy what signs of their lives are left.
But there, at our feet, the story is continued
Without words. Shoots of green, rising from the heart
Of each wrecked remain, mutely shout that only in dying can we live.
The deer travel onward in search of refreshment,
And we follow, coming to rest on the trees that reach out
Over the quietly flowing water. They look glad for
The company, and stir in stately greeting.
They seem to sense our weariness and understand
The burdens that plague our souls, for
They begin to speak. In creaky, yet inexplicably
Dignified voices they tell of standing for a lifetime--
Alone, on the edge, where few dare to stand.
Even their bark shivers, as they recall the lashings
They've withstood throughout the changing
Seasons. "Simply endure," they advise. When asked
What makes their steadfastness bearable, they gently
Draw our attention to their intertwined
Branches and trunks, polished smooth by
Years of rubbing. "By holding each other up we
Survive the storms and the loneliness," they murmur in reassurance.
There, under the trees that have stood patiently
Since before we were born, we talk of
Redemption--how our bodies
Can only pour out so much grace
Before they run dry. And how sometimes
A whole creek is needed instead.
Warm breezes flutter past; the stream babbles
Quietly to itself; shadows slowly fall.
Strengthened by following the deer,
We take our own path home.
Christina, this is beautiful! I love reading the poems you post! Such talent in a humble shell, certainly an example that everyone should follow. I hope you are doing well, friend!
ReplyDeleteOh Margaret. Haha, I'm sure you can mentally see how I'm reacting to your lavish compliments...but thank you for the encouragement, friend. :o) I don't know about being an example, but maybe one of these days...
ReplyDeleteAnd I am doing well!!! A letter to you will be coming soon...but in the meantime, I hope you're enjoying yourself, too! <3
Truly remarkable!
ReplyDeleteI had to chuckle at the line, "To avoid the unwanted advances of their brittle fingers."
And, I love the conclusion, about taking you own path home.
The lines
"By holding each other up we
Survive the storms and the loneliness,"
remind me of a grove of trees, along the meditation trail, at camp.
One of our youth leaders walked out there with us, one evening, and said, "Look at these trees. Under normal conditions, you would expect trees growing this close together to choke each other out. Yet, these trees seem to be supporting each other." A wonderful observation.
And, a lovely poem! Nice job!
Erin
Thanks, Erin! Haha, yeah - I definitely had some scratches on me from their "brittle fingers" when I got home, lol.
ReplyDeleteThose trees at your camp sound like distant relatives of the 3 that made it into this poem. They're all tangled around each other, and squeak as they rub on each other every time the wind blows, but they're all healthy...I love trees like that. :o) Maybe someday I'll manage to get a picture of them on facebook so that you can compare, haha.